Sunday, November 4, 2012

If in U.S., VOTE!

If you live in the U.S., it's time to vote. Here in Oregon, where we vote by mail, you now need to take your ballot to a nearby ballot drop-off location.

Those of you who have followed me over the years, know that I'm a supporter of President Obama, and still am. This is my 12th Presidential election, and I believe it's as important as any in the past, or more so. My opposition to McCarthyism at a young age, my concern for international justice stemming from my time in Germany as a part of the American Field Service Exchange programs, my involvement with the American Civil Rights struggle (however meager, though adequate enough to bring about an editorial against my presence in Charleston, SC in 1964), my work with migrant labor through the Valley Migrant League in the 70s, and my ongoing concern for children through the Children's Defense Fund and Stand for Children -- all of these things continue to inform my political activism to this day.

Yes, I hope you will vote for President Obama's reelection. But, no matter what, it's important for you to vote. Don't let any scare tactics or voter ID law keep you from exercising your right to cast that ballot. Our democracy certainly has its flaws, but the ballot box is the only way that change is likely to happen.

There! I can now get off my soapbox and get back to the plants we all love. Tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. "no matter what, it's important for you to vote..."

    This applies to worldwide

    ReplyDelete
  2. I failed to mention my years of service on the board of the Oregon Holocaust Resource Center, which is dedicated to providing resources to teachers and students about the Nazi holocaust and seeks to be a vehicle to help prevent the re-occurrence of such actions now and in the future. It oversees the Holocaust Memorial in Portland and supports the provision of survivor speakers to schools in the Oregon and Washington areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope President Obama wins too. :)

    ReplyDelete