Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Holiday Cactus

It's that time of year and the "Holiday Cacti" (Schlumbergera) are showing their colors. We don't grow these plants commercially; we just can't resist them and they keep multiplying. Notice I didn't call them "Christmas Cactus" because they aren't. They bloom whenever it pleases them during early winter. And our care for them is pretty haphazard: they get placed under the bench where we forget all about them except to get watered once in a while. Until, that is, we glance under the bench and - lo and behold - the whole trays are filled with flowers.
Yesterday - or actually very early on Tuesday - I said I'd get back to the Echeverias today, but the photo I took turned out blurred. So...later.

I'll be getting up in about three hours to go check the greenhouses. It's quite cold out there and we're fairly low tech. Meaning that I get up at 3 or 4 in the morning to go check the heat in the greenhouses. Soooo...later.

No comments:

Post a Comment