Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz'

This is an upright growing "giant peanut" type plant with iridescent rose flowers. A hybrid from Renee O'Conell, I guess it could now be called Echinopsis 'Rose Quartz', since both of the parent plants (Chamaecereus & Lobivia) have been swallowed up by the same genus, Echinopsis.
Some people are always asking how to get these plants to flower. A good beginning point is to remove the straw flowers that are often glued to the tip of the plant by some growers. (An aggravating practice at best!) This plant bloomed on Saturday without any special assistance from anyone.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to bother, but i'm desperate for help about my rose quartz. two of its main branches have died and been removed, it hasn't bloomed at all, and hardly grown. the growth it has done is in several tall skinny growths that have stopped after a month or so. do you have any idea what the problem could be? please email me a spacekace1@gmail.com if you can help. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use cactus juice I found at Lowe's
    They flowered during the month of June.They are resting now.I've only had the plant since May..so I'm extremely happy!

    ReplyDelete